Tuesday, December 15, 2009

So much discomfort

I'm in the middle of my finals week right now, so I know a lot of what I'm feeling probably won't stick around for very long but for the past 2-3 weeks I have been feeling so much discomfort. I usually feel it right after I finish a meal.

You know the feeling you get after having a huge meal? I think they call it...full...lol. Well, I haven't felt that since this round of IBS started. I get something similar to a full feeling but it's more just bloating and tons of nasty gurgles. But lately it's been the bloating, nasty gurgles AND pain. When I was younger, the pain would feel like something had stuck a baseball in the middle of my belly and was just rolling it around, but now it's more of a generalized pressure type pain. I feel like my intestines are going to burst or something. So now, after finishing a meal, I have to sit in one position while my insides figure it out.

I tend to think it's just gas, but the gas pain I get is usually sharp and stabbing and doesn't last this long. It does help when I burp or pass gas another way ;) however.

Has anyone experienced this type of discomfort after eating? What do you do to get rid of it? GasX just isn't doing the job...

2 comments:

  1. I gave up on gasX... I try peppermint tea, and take peppermint oil capsules 2-3 times a day every day to keep my tummy clam and relaxed. its natural and even if its placebo I'm not feeling as 'crappy' (pun intended). The mint tea really helps, and when I also have the nausea I add some fresh ginger in while it steeps to settle that too. works way better than gravol and gasx combined.

    ReplyDelete
  2. via http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peppermint#Uses

    In 2007, Italian investigators reported that 75% of the patients in their study who took peppermint oil capsules for four weeks had a major reduction in irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) symptoms, compared with just 38% of those who took a placebo.[10]
    Similarly, some poorly designed earlier trials found that peppermint oil has the ability to reduce colicky abdominal pain due to IBS with an NNT (number needed to treat) around 3.1,[11] but the oil is an irritant to the stomach in the quantity required and therefore needs wrapping for delayed release in the intestine. Peppermint relaxes the gastro-esophageal sphincter, thus promoting belching. Restaurants usually take advantage of this effect by taking advantage of its use as a confectionery ingredient, which they then call "after-dinner mints."

    ReplyDelete