Saturday, December 11, 2010

The last few days

The last few days have been anything but pleasant. I either a) ate something really wrong, b) got food poisoning or c) caught the stomach bug that's been going around.

It all started Thursday afternoon when I had cheese dip & chips then followed it with a PopTart. Yes, I know how foolish this was, but I was craving each thing & thought I'd reward myself by giving into my cravings. It did not turn out to be a reward whatsoever.

I spent most of the evening in the bathroom until the Pepto and Imodium kicked in. After that I felt so nauseous that I had my doctor call in an antiemetic for me. The nurse on the phone said that a stomach bug was going around (which I already knew) and tried to tell me to just stay hydrated and eat a bland diet. I then told her that I have a phobia of vomit, and asked her to please call in some medicine for me. Luckily, the doctor did & I got a little piece of mind.

I didn't end up having to use it, but just knowing it was there in case I needed helped calm my nerves at least. Part of the difficulty with IBS is never knowing just what causes your symptoms. I've had that cheese dip before & never had problems. Granted, it was about a week old & I might have had a bit much; adding a PopTart on top of it probably didn't help either. But it was just so sudden and severe that I can't say it was entirely due to IBS. So my poor boyfriend has been upset since it started because I've been avoiding him, just to avoid giving him anything I might have.

One good thing about the last couple days is that I only lost 2 pounds instead of my normal 5! I'm also recovering pretty well & have already started eating normally again with only minimal stomach upset. Usually after episodes or sicknesses it takes my body a lot longer to get back to normal. Let's hope it continues this way so I can be well for finals!

No comments:

Post a Comment