Monday, April 12, 2010

Fun facts

I haven't felt like writing a long post in a while, but I don't want another IBS blog to "close down" so to say. So I'm going to do a few little fun facts that I've noticed lately:

  • I base my eating habits on my stomach gurgles.
    • If I try something new, I take a bite and wait 5-10 minutes. If it doesn't make any "bad" gurgles, we're good. If it does, either the boyfriend or the sink gets the food
    • When I'm eating and my stomach starts to gurgle, I put the food down until the gurgles go away. If they don't go away- food to the boyfriend/sink.
    • This has seriously improved my symptoms since I started doing it. It seems ridiculous, but I think of it as letting my stomach deal with what it has and not overloading it. Sounds like a good idea to me.
  •  When I'm not sure if I should keep eating, I stop. If I've ever gone past that point because "I think it'll probably be fine," it's ended badly. 
  • My stomach/intestines make noises my boyfriend's don't after we've eaten the same meal. They're drastically different. While mine sounds more like a constantly rushing, large stream, his sounds like a spurt every once in a while.
  • Drinking a meal that has a high potential to do damage to your stomach is better handled with a Pepsi or rootbeer. I know a lot of people can't have caffeine, so I'm sorry! But I've been able to handle it again in the past few months.
    • One of my huge problems with hard-on-the-stomach meals is gas. If I have a caffeinated beverage, I burp a lot more afterward. This really helps relieve a lot of the pressure and pain from the meal. If you can handle it, you might want to try it- unless you're lady-like and don't burp :)

Well, that's all for now! The end of the semester is approaching quickly, and I'm trying to stay ahead of everything so I don't get too stressed out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment